Thursday, September 23, 2010

Runza Skillet

This is a recipe I made up out of necessity. There is a fast food chain called Runza here in the midwest. They have these delicious sandwiches that are packed with goodness. My husband is unable to eat wheat, and I am unwilling to pay the price (both physically & financially!) to eat fast food all the time. So I came up with this one dish skillet dinner to mimic the amazing flavors of my favorite Runza - the Swiss Mushroom & Cheese. My husband & I love this, however, Cassady is not the biggest fan. I think it's the sauerkraut. At any rate, I usually fix this when I know she will be spending the night at a friend's house. That way, we can enjoy this yummy meal without any complaints!

Runza Skillet
1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb gound beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
4 c brown rice, cooked
3 c sauerkraut
salt/pepper (to taste)
1 c mushrooms, sliced (optional)
1/2 c mozzarella cheese, shredded

Heat olive oil in a large skillet and sautee chopped onion, minced garlic and mushrooms. Set aside. Using same skillet, brown the ground beef, adding the onion/mushroom mix about halfway through. Mix in sauerkraut and brown rice. Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring infrequently. Sprinkle cheese on the top. Cover skillet and let sit 5 minutes (or until cheese is melted) on low heat. Serves 6

1 comment: