Saturday, August 28, 2010

Turkey Sausage, Kale & White Bean Soup

I need a more imaginative name for this soup. It is so incredibly delicious...it deserves better! I was honestly surprised to find that I like it, since I am generally not a fan of kale. The sausage flavor really stands out, though, and the kale acts (to me) as more of a thickening agent. My daughter isn't the biggest fan of the kale, but she does like the sausage so she will grudgingly eat it. I found the recipe here, and have made minimal changes to it.


Turkey Sausage, Kale & White Bean Soup

1 lb turkey sausage meat
2 tsp olive oil
2 Tbsp minced garlic (or to taste)
1/2 bunch kale, washed & chopped
1 can white beans (rinsed & drained)
4 cups water with chicken bouillion (can also use chicken stock)
2 cups water
1 small pinch dried red pepper flakes (optional)
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Cook sausage, garlic and red pepper flakes (if desired) until sausage is browned. Add 4 cups of water with chicken boullion and let simmer for 10 minutes. Add kale and beans and additional 2 cups of water, allow to simmer another 10 minutes. Serves 4-6, depending on hunger levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment