Thursday, April 15, 2010

Split Pea Soup

Here's another meal that my rather picky 10 year old will eat. I still haven't figured out if she really knows that this is a veggie based soup...but at least she'll eat it without complaint! Yesterday was cloudy and overcast, so this was the perfect thing to come home to - the house smelled so yummy. I got the ingredients ready the night before while cooking dinner, then threw it all in the crock pot at 5 am on my way out the door.
The recipe was found in its original form here, but I have changed a few things around to suit our tastes. I love that it tastes amazing, is something everyone can agree on to eat, and is healthy to boot! Oh - and it is super easy. It's the perfect recipe!
Split Pea Soup

1 (16 ounce) package dried split peas, rinsed
2 cups diced ham (we use turkey ham)
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, plus leaves, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon seasoning salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh pepper
6 cups hot water
Layer ingredients in the crock pot in the order shown. Pour in water, but do not stir. Cook 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low. Enjoy!
This serves 4-6 depending on hunger levels. It is a really thick soup, so even my starving husband is generally satisfied with only a cup or so :)
This recipe was shared at The Grocery Cart Challenge

4 comments:

  1. Split pea is one of my favorites! This recipe looks yummy. I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried anything similar before! And it sounds really really yummy! I'll have to try it!

    I also want to thank you for joining our "Starbucks giveaway" in The Coffee Shop... The winner was announced on Tuesday night, it was Blue Cotton Memory... But stay connected because there will be more giveaways coming! Following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to eat split pea when I was younger. I will have to try this recipe out - it sounds perfect!

    Stopping in from SITS

    Devan @ Accustomed Chaos
    http://accustomedchaos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, I LOVE Split Pea Soup, thanks for this recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete