Sunday, April 11, 2010

Chicken & Dumplings

My daughter loves chicken & dumplings. I am pretty sure this is the only meal she has eaten so far this month without complaint (she can be very picky). I found this recipe on Recipezaar, and have modified it a bit to suit our tastes. It's not the healthiest recipe, per se, but my daughter loves it, so we enjoy it every once in awhile.
Again, I am without pictures since Jack was crying and we were in a hurry to get to the talent show at Cassady's school. I will get around to pictures someday!
Chicken & Dumplings

2 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed (or shredded)
1 onion, minced
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup water
2 cans cream of chicken soup
3/4 cups milk
1 package frozen mixed vegetables
1 package refrigerated roll of biscuits
In a dutch oven, saute the onion and minced garlic in butter until onions are soft. Add seasonings and water, allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Mix in cream of chicken soup, chicken, milk, and veggies. Allow to simmer for another 10 minutes. Next, cut biscuits into quarters (I love kitchen scissors for this) and drop into stew. (You can also make biscuits with 2 cups of bisquick and 2/3 cup of milk. We just happened to have the ready made kind this time.) Put the lid on, and simmer another (you guessed it!) 10 minutes. Serves 4-6, depending on hunger levels!
Oh...and this is very optional, but I generally try to add some ground flaxseed (usually 2 tablespoons) along with the chicken. Makes me feel like there's at least a small amount of nutritional value in the meal!!

4 comments:

  1. I've never been a big fan of the dumpling part of the chicken and dumplings but the refrigerated busicuts don't actually sound half bad. I might just have to try this

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a picky eater too. I swear she takes in all her calories through milk. This I'll have to try though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally forgot about chicken and dumplings i love it!! and this recipe looks like a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg, ok...this is making me hungry! Darn this wedding diet ;-)

    I'll have to save it for next time :-)

    jennymayandswede.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete